Sunday, January 01, 2006

Welcome to “The Mourners’ Bench.”

A mourners’ bench is a small wooden bench in the front of a church for mourners or repentance of sin. It was a place where those in need of prayer grew closer to God. At times, it seems like that the entire World needs to visit “The Mourners’ Bench,” hence the name of this site.

This site has it origin in an email list of a small group of my dearest and closest friends and family. During my vast and extensive exploration of the World Wide Web, when I discovered items of interest, I would pass them along to a select group of friends. It was my attempted to broaden the horizons of some who may be afraid to consider points of view outside of their very own. It had been my attempt to assist those who may be still on the “plantation” of political parties, and to help others find the freedom which is political independence. My thought was the creation of a kind of Underground Railroad, but via email.

My emails continued until I was told by a beloved family member that I was “not supposed to read everything,” and that I should read positive and helpful things. In other words, since all Black people are supposed to think alike, political, educational and informative reading isn’t that important. Although I found this person’s statements very similar to the slave masters’ warning of a good whipping for any slave attempting to learn how to read, out of respect for my elders I kept my comments to myself.

I began to get very discouraged. I was convinced that despite my efforts, the plantation mentality was still alive among the decedents of former slaves. It even appeared to be alive among those who had attended institutions of higher learning. It seemed that the mentality of blindly following a self-serving, self-promoting leadership has been passed down from generation, to generation. Only rarely does it seem to skip a few random souls along the way. I lost hope because if 143 years of freedom can’t change a mentality, an email sent by someone who cherishes freedom and all of God’s gifts won’t change it either. I came to the realization that most people are only comfortable when part of the herd, and that some people (like sheep) needed to be lead. I accepted the reality that the self appointed “Leaders of the Black Race” will continue to have a multitude of blind sheep to fleece. I came to the conclusion that perhaps it was true, and maybe all people were not intended to be free. Only God knows. Only time will tell.

It wasn't until a month or two later that I put away my discouragement, and decided to start this site. I guess all of us have a story, and a testimony to share with others. Some are meant to stand behind a pulpit, some or meant to shout it on the street corner, maybe it is my calling to share my thoughts, and my testimony via the internet. Only God knows. Only time will tell.

This is a work in progress, and I am taking it one day at a time. It is the mission of “The Mourners’ Bench” to share and promote open dialogue on issues and topics that you may not see discussed beyond the internet. As my guest, you are welcome to read or comment as you wish. Be courteous to others, follow the rules, and enjoy your visit. All are welcomed. Please be advised that in this environment, you will be judged not by the color of your skin, but by the content of your character. All civilized discussion is welcomed.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?